What happens the day of the observation?
The assessor will arrive 15 minutes early and ask the following questions:
- Room Number?
- Teacher(s) Names?
- Number of children with identified disabilities and the type?
- Birth dates of the Youngest and Oldest enrolled in the room?
- What space(s) are used for gross motor activities for this class?
- Which gross motor spaces are used more often?
The assessor should observe:
- A typical day and at a time when most children are present.
An observer should see:
- 30 minutes of gross motor
- 60 minutes of center time
- A meal, routines (bathroom breaks, hand washing, etc.) and transitions
- Large group, if applies
The observer will not interact with children or staff during the observation. They are there to observe what the children experience. The observer must take detailed notes and observe all activities and interactions.
What happens after I complete the request for an Environmental Rating Scale?
Your request will be reviewed and if additional information is needed, you will be contacted. If your request is complete, you will be contacted within 5 business days to schedule an appointment with a reliable ERS assessor.
The assessor will schedule an agreed upon time to observe a randomly selected classroom. Typically, observations are scheduled from 8:30am-11:30am or 9:00am-12:00pm. The majority of children must be present during the 3-hour observation.
What happens after the observation is complete?
The observer will not give feedback after the observation is complete. Once the observation is complete, you will receive a written report within 3 business days of the observation.
What is the cost of the observation?
The cost for an Environmental Rating Scale is $500.00. You will be billed by the United Way of Connecticut directly after the report is complete.
How do I request an Environmental Rating Scale?
A request must be submitted for each program. The following information will be requested:
- Date of Request
- Program Name and address
- Contact Name, Email and Phone Number