In this section you will find additional information on selecting a child care provider that best meets the needs of your family. 2-1-1 Child Care is the State’s free resource and referral agency that is available Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Call 2-1-1 Child Care at 1-800-505-1000 for child care referrals or search on your own at search.211childcare.org
You will want to be prepared in knowing what to ask. Use the following Phone Pre-Screening Tool to list questions you may want to ask when searching for child care.
Ask the provider for names and telephone numbers of parent references. If the provider is able to give you some parent references follow up by asking the following questions:
- What do you like best/least about the child care provider?
- Does the child care provider offer activities geared towards the child’s age?
- Does the child care provider make you and your child feel comfortable in the program?
- Does the child care provider keep you well informed about your child’s development?
- Is the child care provider dependable and reliable?
- Would you change anything about the program?
A phone interview does not substitute for a visit to the program. You can utilize the following checklists that will aid you when visiting programs.
Infant and Toddler Quality Checklist